[ardour-dev] latest CVS commit

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Feb 19 05:39:14 PST 2005

>1) I start QJC and Ardour. I set Ardour to Positional Sync-> Sync with
>Jack. I push play on QJC and Ardour follows the Jack transport. I hit
>pause. Ardour stops. Good so far. I then start Muse. I hit Play in
>Jack's transport. Muse moves but Ardour doesn't.

That is, uh, interesting. I've not seen that reported. I never use
Muse. I know that Ardour+Hydrogen works fine, and I've heard that
Ardour+Rosegarden works fine. You can also drag the H2 "cursor" around
(or click it to position it) and Ardour will follow it.

>NOTE: Without giving it deep thought I'd love it if it was the Jack
>transport for all Jack apps. If Ardour, Rosegarden, Muse, by DESIGN
>had no transport and were forced to do development using QJC's
>transport then it would likely really work for us users.

Well, you can always just tearoff the ardour transport panel and use
that :)

The problem with an external transport controller is that it can't
know about certain specific things inside of any one app. Ardour, for
example, has "play loop" and "play range" buttons. QJC can't send
commands to do this at the moment, and even if it could, it has no
idea if a given JACK client *has* a range selection at that time.

Other examples would include things like "step back" or "step forward"
- these operations are sometimes a function of the representation
being used by a given program.

And finally, of course: there are people who use JACK but don't use
qjc, amazingly enough :) Oh, did I mention jackosx, ardour on osx, and
all that, too?

--p