[ardour-dev] o'reilly

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Feb 16 00:42:12 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 06:53:44 -0500, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 06:38:32PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> > i am having a conversation with an editor from o'reilly:

> > This looks interesting.  Tell me more:
> > -- How many people are actively using Ardour in day-to-day operations?  In
> > other words, what's the installed base right now?
> > -- How many downloads of Ardour have there been?
> > -- Are there any "high profile" users?  For example, did Green Day record
> > their latest and greatest using Ardour?
> >
> > I'm trying to establish the current market size and growth rate which, in
> > turn, will help me determine the potential for sales of books about the
> > tool.
> >
> > The program looks cool to me as someone who has spent many, many hours in
> > recording studios (as a musician).  However, my experience has been almost
> > entirely analog and my digital recording experience is limited almost
> > entirely to a single recording session in a ProTools environment, and in
> > using Garageband on my Mac at home to replace my Tascam PortaStudio ;-)
> >
> > what should my answers be?
>
> If you're wondering how many of us would buy an Ardour book from
> O'Reilly, I certainly would. I can't really speak to any
> of the explicit questions he asked.
> I actively use ardour, but not nearly every day, and not for
> anything "pro".

Same here.

I usaully try to guess how many people are using my software from the
complexity and the number and type of support questions I answer.

e.g. if its a ./confgure, make, make install deal with no serious deps,
and I answer lots of questions about it, its a fair bet that the installed
base is large. Ditto for day-to-day usage type questions.

- Steve