[ardour-dev] o'reilly

Bengt Gördén bengan at sunet.se
Tue Feb 15 22:29:25 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 06:38:32PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> i am having a conversation with an editor from o'reilly:

> This looks interesting.  Tell me more:
> -- How many people are actively using Ardour in day-to-day operations?

It's getting there. But it's more of night-to-night operation :-)

> In other words, what's the installed base right now?

I've got it installed on 3 computers now.

My laptop
My home studio computer
My desktop at my work

> -- How many downloads of Ardour have there been?
> -- Are there any "high profile" users?  For example, did Green Day record
> their latest and greatest using Ardour?
>
> I'm trying to establish the current market size and growth rate which, in
> turn, will help me determine the potential for sales of books about the
> tool.

I'm an Open Source person myself (been that for almost as long as
Stallman ;-) and I do buy the books of the programs that I like and
use. I do have about 30-40 books from O'Reilly today and a few from
others. Most of them I use, or have used, in my daily work (not
audio).  And I would definitely buy a book about Ardour. I like the
program and I've started a swedish translation of it. That have given
me even more knowledge of the program.

regards,

- KTHNOC/SUNET/NORDUnet | http://www.sunet.se/~bengan | +46 8 7906586 -