[ardour-dev] o'reilly

Fons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Tue Feb 15 16:52:54 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 06:38:32PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> what should my answers be?

I can't provide the answers that this editor needs, but for me
it's clear that if there is one Linux Audio application that has
all the potential to reach the "O'Reilly class" then that would
be Ardour. And I would not hesitate a second to buy the book.

I'm not sure what would be required to push Ardour to the 'critical
mass' needed to convince O'Reilly. Maybe the most important thing
would be to have a stable and very dependable version, even if that
is downscaled and does have not all the sexy features that some
users want.

Pro users will accept limits. It all depends on the application -
for example I've been recording classical music using Ardour, and
for this you don't need MIDI sync or plugins. But one hickup during
a recording will be enough to be out - a classical orchestra is
expensive, and most conductors have too much ego to be interrupted
by a technical glitch :-).

--
FA