[ardour-dev] Cool idea or Crackhead ramblings

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Tue Apr 26 06:37:40 PDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:45:29 -0400
"Polashek, Matthew" <matthew_polashek at mcgraw-hill.com> wrote:

> Right Envy24control and the hdsp mixer are both for hardware mixing.
>
> Ok.  This brings me to a further question.  For whatever reason, I have
> the impression that Ardour is intended to be used both as a live sound
> mixer and as a recoding platform.

I don't think the live mixer functionality was ever intended...

> Perhaps I have the wrong idea, but I
> think it's probably the most useful audio app I have ever encountered
> simply because of the incredible flexibility of the I/O and bussing
> possibilities.

...it just happens to be an excellent interface for it when combined with
the power of jack routing.

 In my secret sick fantasy world, I envision using Ardour
> on a live gig to run sound and to record at the same time.  So this
> brings me to the idea of administrating hardware level mixing at the
> higher Ardour level.  I think it would be really great to have a section
> in the mixer window where one could administrate these kinds of things
> as opposed to constantly going between different windows while trying to
> play the saxophone.

A question here is really whether hardware mixing is really needed at all.
I've got a Delta 1010, and I almost never have to go to the envy24control
app.  All the HW input levels are up full, with any signals coming in
attenuated to the proper level before they hit the 1010.

I can then record-enable the channels and get pre-fader metering and
recording, and fader control on the channel output volume - a perfect
combination.

> Another option might be to have dummy tracks that pick up hardware level
> metering and send midi CC, though I don't know that either the hdsp
> mixer or envy24control are able to bind.

There's always meterbridge for monitoring.  I have to admit here that I
got a little lost with how you're using MIDI CC here - are you envisioning
a control surface in this somehow, or is the MIDI for something else
entirely??

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com