[ardour-dev] Dual Opterons and other miscellany

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 9 07:29:17 PDT 2005

--- SAKURA <sakura at s88003245.onlinehome.us> wrote:
> [...]

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) MP 2600+
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 2133.509
cache size      : 256 KB

I was running two of those processors in the studio
machine but there were two issues; A, heat and B, a
MoBo bug.

A. The amount of heat is alarming. Running dual will
require a cooling/venting solution.

B. My Tyan Tiger board or firmware or bios or whatever
has a bug in the 66mhz pci slot that prevented booting
due to a IRQ conflict between the CPUs. I think that
what it was. You can force the slot to run in 33mhz. I
have a hardware SCSI raid controller that does 33/66.

I'm running a single CPU for now but intend to run
dual again. The performance and number of tasks that
can be run with two processors is awesome. I was
running 16 track recordings (Ardour), mastering stereo
in another control room, rsync over lan, mozilla for
mail, and other taxing tasks in attempts to cause
xruns but really never did.

Ron Parker
Mirror Image Recording Studios