[ardour-dev] Mono switch

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 11:23:51 PDT 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 11:16 AM, David Gatwood <dgatwood at mac.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2005, at 8:56 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >    Well, I've got the 002 Rack up for sale. We'll see how soon it's
> > gone. Anybody here thinking of going the other way? ;-) I wish I had
> > some way to capture all the session work in Pro Tools and bring it
> > over. That will be hard to recreate later if I need to.
>
> Write a tool to import AAC XML.  Then export as OMF, download the
> \AAC SDK, which IIRC includes an OMF to AAC converter if you're
> running on certain platforms....  Convert to AAC.  Download the the
> AAC XML (XAAC? AACX?) SDK, which IIRC includes an AAC to
> AAC XML converter.
>
> You now should have a human-readable EDL that could be parsed
> and converted into something Ardour could read without a great deal
> of difficulty if someone were willing to write a tool to do so.

Damn...I need to go back to anacronism school! I don't understand a bit of that.

I guess to start, what is AAC XML? I recognized the XML part. I guess
some special version of XML?

Probably in the short term I need to figure out if there's anything I
should do other than save my Pro Tools sessions files. Comments?

*.pts files look binary to me. I haven't done any Googling to see if
someone's broken the code. I should do that.

Whatever I end up with has to be pretty simple as I have 50-100
sessions done in PTLE. If I'm going to make any use of them whatever I
do needs to be pretty straight forward.

I was thinking I could do a bunch of track by track bounces so that at
least I could get song structure back later, but even that would take
a week or two to really get done.

Thanks,
Mark