[ardour-dev] Mono switch

gerard van dongen gml at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 8 09:32:25 PDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 08:56:37 -0700, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com>
wrote:

>    As I've gone through looking at the change over from Pro Tools to
> Ardour (am I really doing this?) there is one thing I think I'll miss
> a lot - my 002 Rack's Mono switch. None of my other outboard monitor
> signal path has this. I find it important to listen periodically in
> mono as it helps me make sure I'm not doing something silly.
>
>    How do other Ardour users do this? It doesn't seem particularly
> easy with Ardour and Alsa. I don't see it in Ardour, not in hdspmixer.

Well you could just put both panners of the master out in the middle
or you could route the output of the master-bus to a monobus and mute that
unmute that - and mute the master -- if you want to listen in mono.
It is two clicks though, and make sure the mono-bus goes directly to some
alsa pcm output, not back to the master output.
A kind of opposite group binding for mutes would be nice in this case.
Similar to the panner linking. Muting one of the group would unmute the
other.
Relations like that. I guess you could use a midi controller to generate
both the binding for mute solo bus and unmute master bus.
But I just use the pan controls of my analog mixer myself.

As I type I realize:

A really handy way is to use the monitor bus. If you create a new session,
create one with a monitor bus.
Make this one mono or panned in the middle.
Then clicking solo on the master bus will put the output through the
monitor bus.
Trying it now, and I can't figure out how to get that to work though.

hope this helps

Gerard