[ardour-dev] MMC News

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 3 10:43:33 PDT 2005

--- Joe Hartley <jh at brainiac.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 10:46:51 -0400
> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> > >The freeze on FFwd is still there, though.  I'll
> just have to remember not
> > >to do that!!

Ardour doesn't "freeze" the playhead stops advancing
and if you stop and restart ffwd it will resume. Is
that correct?

If that's correct then disk performance is the issue.
I've seen alot of this on a hardware SCSI raid level 5
array running reiserfs where the disk was likely
fragmented.

I've never seen Ardour actually freeze and require a
'kill' and reopen in order to resume as the result of
MMC FFwd.

> > i want you to do it, and preferably with a
> debuggable version of
> > ardour in such as way as to get a backtrace :)
>
> OK, I have entered this along with a trace as Mantis
> bug 947, but here's
> a summary:
>
> It looks like my session's just too large.  This was
> embedded in the trace,
> which I think is supposed to be what's displayed in
> the popped-up window:
> _S_empty_rep_storage = {0, 0, 3446, 0}}, msg=
>         {static npos = 4294967295, _M_dataplus =
> {<allocator<char>> = {<No data fields>}, _M_p =
> 0x913e89c "The disk system on your computer\nwas not
> able to keep up with Ardour.\n\nSpecifically, it
> failed to read data from disk\nquickly enough to
> keep up with playback.\n"}, static
>
> I loaded up a smaller session (2 stereo tracks) and
> couldn't freeze it
> at all.

Larger track counts definitely exasperate the
situation.

> So it looks like it's just how it's handling this
> situation of the disk
> not keeping up with the program.

That's my understanding. What filesystem are you using
and what percentage of the disk is used?

ron