[ardour-dev] selecting midi devices

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 3 06:11:37 PDT 2005

On Sunday 03 April 2005 09:53, Geoff Beasley wrote:
> Ahhhhh.. selecting midi i/o in ardour is very difficult. We have a C-Port
> and Midiman 2x4 in each machine. Alsa mounts the C-Port as the primary
> audio device and primary midi device.  The Midiman (usb) is the secondary
> device. Question; how to get ardour.rc to effectively mount the 4 outputs
> of the midiman...what /dev is it and how do you know ? Rosegarden can see
> them all, why not ardour ?

Rosegarden does automatic alsa-sequencer connection stuff, and hides it too.
It is quite clever, although too clever for my taste.
Ardour doesn't do this.
What I do:
remove the references to hardware midi inputs from the .ardour/ardour.rc.
Set all the midi input ports to seq in the options window
connect it all in qjackctl in the midi tab of the connections window.

The alternative is to specify the ports are hardware ports in
the .ardour/ardour.rc and thereby preventing other midi software from
accessing that port.

f.i.
<MIDI-port tag="hw:1" device="/dev/snd/midiC1D0" type="alsa/raw"
mode="duplex"/>
will specify the first device on the second card for midi.
Look at /dev/snd to see what you have available.
And I guess that the 3rd and 4th port need to be specified output only but I
don't know what the keyword is. Probably mode="playback" or mode="output".

cheers