[ardour-dev] Re: [ardour-users] MTC & MMC ...

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 18:20:19 PDT 2004

Hi,

--- Third Option <thirdoption at hotmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm using the same beta19 version. Due to recent
> information about
> > Rosegarden not handling tempo changes, and
> probably not loop recording
> > now that I think about it, I'm interested in once
> again trying to sync
> > Pro Tools LE as a slave to Ardour.
>
> yes I did some stuff with rosegarden syncing to
> ardour and it really didn't
> work.  oh it thinks it did, but it is REALLY loose.

Do you mean RG as Jack Transport Master and Ardour
sync to Jack is loose? I have my doubts but that needs
to be examined closely.

What is "loose" and perhaps this is what you heard is
that Ardour sources run through a bus are latent and
that Ardour places sources early on the timeline.

To test the latency of a bus; use one bus and two
tracks, route the bus to an appropriate
alsa_pcm:playback_N, route one track through the bus
and the other direct to alsa_pcm:playback_N. Drop the
same recorded click into both tracks and EQ all the
low end out of the one that routes direct to
alsa_pcm:playback_N. The direct to alsa will play
early. They must be indistinguishable!

To see Ardour misplace timing of recorded material;
add track and set its input source to the Ardour
click, display measure lines and record. In this case,
the click should land dead onto the marker lines but
it's early.

I think these issues were in Mantis but a failure to
followup from the reporter caused the report to be
closed. It definitely needs to be reopened.

> Also my version (beta18) of ardour does not handle
> tempo changes either - it
> thinks it can, but when it plays back, it has to
> stop and then start again
> to get going on the new tempo

Not sure what version I'm using but I think it's
beta19 or something newer than what you're using. The
version I'm using definitely handles meter changes.
However, there are numerous bugs in the UI that need
to be fixed. I haven't tried tempo changes. Hmmm,
actually I did a piece with meter and tempo changes
and they both worked.

It would be good if you can describe exactly how to
reproduce what you're calling "loose." Otherwise
nobody knows what you're talking and they can't fix
it. Trust me, I know it takes alot of time to write
useful bug reports.

ron