[ardour-dev] First successful test run

Ben Bell bjb-ardour-dev at deus.net
Sun Sep 5 13:47:39 PDT 2004

Some context:
In the end I got the new machine because I have an es1370 sound card which
I know is mentioned as being a bit shaky (though I do try it Playback only),
a VP6 motherboard which I understand has problems with heavy DMA usage (it
hangs in seconds with a tuner card in it) and went through a spell of
complaining about CPU faults one hot week. I figured it was best to start
with a clean sheet as it's quite possibly some of this that threw me.

The new machine locked up completely after a few seconds of jack running in
realtime mode (using realtime LSM). That might be something that my dodgy
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 setting was causing, on reflection. It's fine with
2.4 but is awaiting an Audiophile 2496. At the moment it I am using the
on-motherboard sound card so tweaking IRQs and PCI latencies isn't possible.

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 10:33:10PM +0200, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> 1] you do run jack with the -R option right? If not, does running as
> root help? Does running as root help anyways [even if you are already
> running with -R but as ordinary user]?
I run it with -R and running as root didn't help.

> 2] have a look at /proc/interrupts. do you see something not alright,
> like an ERR count, or your soundcard sharing irq's with something else?
On my old machine my sound card is sharing an IRQ. I'll try swapping it with
the network card (which has 9 all to itself).

> Also you probably use APIC, right? See if running in single cpu mode and
> with XT-PIC improves the situation [i never used MP systems so i don't
> know if this is possible]..
I will give this a try if the rest doesn't help.

> 3] when using voluntary preempt, make sure you have your soundcard irq
> set to not threaded and also have hardirq and softirq redirection
> enabled [so other irq's don't preempt the soundcard irq]..
Yup, I'll try that once the new card arrives.

> 4] what periodsize are you using?
I'd tried it all the way up to latencies of ~400ms.

Cheers,
Ben

--
+-----Ben Bell - "A song, a perl script and the occasional silly sig.-----+