[ardour-dev] "out of disk space" problems with beta19

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Fri Oct 15 20:06:33 PDT 2004

I hit this situation twice recently while working on a CD project.
Beta19 does not handle it gracefully at all.  Neither session would
open afterwards.  The first time I only lost a little bit of work, and
found it easier to remove the session and re-create it.

The second time was this evening and I'm really worried, because that
session had an excellent vocal track, which I would hate to lose.

I looked in Mantis, but did not see any open problems mentioning "out
of space".  I'll open one, unless someone points me to a similar issue
already open.  What is the usual severity for problems like this?  I
think a lost session is far worse than a crash.

Here are the error messages...

FileSource: cannot locate chunks in /home/joq/AUDIO/1/karaoke/valentine/sounds/jamin-7.wav
[ERROR]: SndFileSource: cannot open file "jamin-7.wav" (Could not open file.)
[ERROR]: Found a sound file that cannot be used by Ardour. See the progammers.
[ERROR]: Session: cannot create Source from XML description.
[ERROR]: Session "/home/joq/AUDIO/1/karaoke/valentine (snapshot valentine)" did not load successfully

The file it's complaining about is probably the one I was recording to
when I ran out of space on the device.  I'm hoping I can edit the
session file somehow and recover everything else, but I don't know how
to do that safely without guidance.  Is there a known workaround?

I really don't want to lose this session if I can possibly help it.  I
do have a backup copy on another computer, but it lacks all of the
work I've done today.

Also, "Cleanup>Flush Wastebasket" doesn't remove the dead_sounds files
[bug:00705].  Is that intentional?  Is it ever safe to remove them by
hand?
--
  joq