[ardour-dev] Ardour panning wonderful !

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Thu Oct 14 02:23:29 PDT 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:37:56 +1000
Geoff Beasley <songshop at bizmedia.com.au> wrote:

> Wow, using this thing finally Paul is just a pleasure. But so far for me the big things is ( after MTC master of coarse!) the panning model... I have declared for sometime that most digital mixing systems, under Windoze "stereo devices" model anyway, is really a "balance" control and not pan at all. This discrete  model you are using is vastly superior... may a million flower petals shower you with Joy.....or what-ever.

The one thing that disturbs me though is that one cannot control the gain of
both channels of a stereo track seperatly (which is basically again some
sort of "balance"). I've been told on #ardour that i should use two mono
tracks in this case. I cannot agree with this, since from a conceptual point
of view i want to maintain a single track, a single set of plugins, etc for
my stereo tracks.

I think that both models are useful and one should not be forced to use only
one. Although i very much like the panning of stereo tracks in ardour i
dearly miss the possibility to adjust the gain of the channels seperatly.

I suppose one could use a plugin like a stereo amp and regulate the gain
seperatly, but it seems i cannot find a suitable plugin which offers two
gain adjustments in the control dialog. Jack-rack allows to unlock the
controls of multichannel plugins in certain cases (mono plugin on
multichannel track). Does something similar exist in Ardour?

What do you guys think?

Regards,
Florian Schmidt