[ardour-dev] issues with plugin in/out counts

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 08:17:26 PST 2004

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 07:08:52 -0800 (PST), R Parker <rtp405 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Some of the user base is asking for it; Gerard and
> Fons come to mind. Many of us aren't experienced
> enough to understand the ramifications. If the
> developers implement a solution to the sophisticated
> possibilities, then %98 of us have a chance to become
> more creative in our mixing strategies than what you
> or I might be doing today.

Fair enough, as long as the sophisticated solution implemented to make
2% of the people happy doesn't cause problems or wated time for 98% of
the people.

I don't have this problem under Pro Tools since my version doesn't
support anything beyond stereo at the track/bus level. If I want to do
something more sophisticated I have to build it by hand using stereo
and mono elements. I'm happy with that. I can understand why others
wouldn't be,

Maybe I'm wrong, but how many projects do you do in your work that go
beyond stereo? I do none. Granted - I don't even look for them and
would run if one came towards me. I think most people, whether working
in a pro studio or home/part-time recordists/composers like me use
stereo and nothing more. Then again, maybe some of these multi-channel
plugins are useful in a stereo project and I don't understand that
yet. I'm open to learning how this can help.

> Without having given the conversation a fair shake, my
> intuition says try very hard not to simplify Ardour
> development by skiping past difficult challanges in
> order to ease the workload.

I agree completely. However, if it's a matter of putting time where it
can do the most good for the most people then maybe the priority of
this isn't so high?

I don't know the answer to this question. That's up to the developers.
I also freely admit that I've lobbied for a really good stereo
solution for over two years. The other stuff isn't that useful to me.

- Mark