[ardour-dev] issues with plugin in/out counts

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 06:30:18 PST 2004

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:06:18 +0100, Michael Schnake
<schnake at composition.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this is my first post here, so please be kind ;-)

Certainly!
<SNIP>
<SNIP>
> Input
> <adapter 1>
> Plugin 1
> <adapter 2>
> Plugin 2
> <adapter 3>
> Plugin 3

OK, this is just me, but I'd opt for whatever is the most simple and
most like to work. To me that's plugins that match the width of the
track or bus, and multi-mono.

Anything else can *already* be done correctly in Ardour. If I have a
stereo track, and I want to use plug with a different number of
inputs, I can create a bus with that number of inputs, place the
plugin there, and then wire the track to that bus explicitly.

That said, an 'adapter' as you refer to it could be another plugin
that gets written. That's certainly true.

Personally I'm more concerned about a program sending audio someplace
I don't understand (using Ardour magic or an adapter) than the 5
minutes it will take me to do this once or twice a year.  Again, I
work with mono tracks (from microphones, etc.) and stereo tracks (from
some hardware and loops) exclusively. I think that probably 98% of
Ardour's users do the same. Why complicate things when the user base
isn't asking for it or really needing it, and certainly when all of
this can be done correctly with an extra bus on the side?

Thanks,
Mark