[ardour-dev] build from last evening's tarball fails

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 8 14:12:31 PST 2004

Hi Mark,

--- Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>    Trying to build Ardour today:
>
> flash Ardour-cvs-20041108 $ ./autogen.sh

> Checking basic compilation tools ...
>
>         pkg-config: found.
>         autoconf: found.
>         aclocal: found.
>         automake: found.
>         libtool: found.
>         gettext: found.
>         autopoint: found.

> linking autoconf macros to
> /home/mark/CODE/ARDOUR/Ardour-cvs-20041108/aclocal

> Bootstrapping makefiles etc.
>
> Ignore any warnings about AC_TRY_RUN, AC_PROG_LEX,
> and AC_DEFINE ...
>
> Building autoconf files for libs ...
> automake-1.5: configure.ac: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE' must
> be used

Ardour requires 1.7.

> flash Ardour-cvs-20041108 $ su -
> Password:
> flash root # emerge -pv automake
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies ...done!
> [ebuild   R   ] sys-devel/automake-1.8.5-r1
> (-uclibc) 2,557 kB

I guess if you install that, you'll be good to go. The
change in dependency is for the work that Taybin is
doing.

> Total size of downloads: 2,557 kB
>
> flash root #
>
> What can I do to fix this, most preferable being
> nothing except
> download a new tarball tomorrow that does fix it.

I think you'll have to install the newer version which
is what we did to my machine earlier today. My RH9 had
several versions installed. In /usr/bin I did:
mv aclocal aclocal-1.63
mv automake automake-1.63
ln -s aclocal-1.7 aclocal
ln -s automake-1.7 automake

If there's a need I can always link the older version.
I guess it would be wise to be a bit careful and
remember what you've done.

ron