[ardour-dev] deep design question: help requested (rapidly)

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue May 18 07:33:28 PDT 2004

>>Modifying a region does not imply that I want to get rid of the original
>>region. So it's good to keep it. Although the modified region can
>>sonically/lengthwise differ totally from the original I would still
>>expect it to be called A' -- but this is user-interfacing (helps me to
>>keep track of what I did), internally it would be B I guess.
>>
>    I agree.  But, does it really matter what it is internally?  As long as the
>user can track and undo it should be OK.

this is not really the heart of the issue. ardour never really does
destructive editing (except for the "remove region/last capture"
operations).

since mailing this, i've thought about it a lot more, and i now
realize that the problem can be formulated differently.

if you have "region A" and you copy it, what is the new region called?
it could be "region A", because names are not required to be
unique. but if its "region A", and then you edit the original, what is
the "real" region A? at what point does the name of one of the regions
change?

if its not "region A", but "region B", how is the name "region B"
generated?