[ardour-dev] 6 tracks of 800MB each, is editing supposed to be slow?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Feb 19 08:09:58 PST 2004

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 09:16:11 -0600, Bill Gribble wrote:
> Let me second this.  I have 'memtest86' installed as a boot target in
> GRUB for EVERY machine I handle.  It is totally different from the
> protected-mode memtest program.  You can't believe a memory tester
> unless it runs in "bare metal" mode as memtest86 does.
>
> If a machine starts to behave flakily, rebooting to run memtest86 is the
> first thing I do.  I have found several bad DIMM sticks this way.  And
> if your machine passes the memtest86 tests, you can start trying to
> diagnose OS or software problems with good confidence that you hve ruled
> out one possible source of problems.

Very true, but the last time this happened to me I was about to change the
RAM when on a whim I swapped it around and the memory error didnt move
with the RAM - it was the motherbaord. Some of the capacitors had failed
(orange gunge leaking out of them, bulged tops) and that was causing the
memory to fail.

- Steve