[ardour-dev] 6 tracks of 800MB each, is editing supposed to be slow?

Bill Gribble grib at billgribble.com
Thu Feb 19 07:16:11 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 09:04, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 10:10:23AM +0200, Tommi Sakari Uimonen wrote:
> > But as I suspected my memory to have some issues, I ran memtest (from
> > sysutils package in Debian) and it shows errors. I don't know if it's
> > normal or not. I'm going to test the memtest86+ someday.
>
> FWIW, I've used memtest86 extensively at work for diagnosing machine
> problems.  Every time it's ever found memory errors, RAM had to be
> replaced - I'd say the errors are definitely abnormal!

Let me second this.  I have 'memtest86' installed as a boot target in
GRUB for EVERY machine I handle.  It is totally different from the
protected-mode memtest program.  You can't believe a memory tester
unless it runs in "bare metal" mode as memtest86 does.

If a machine starts to behave flakily, rebooting to run memtest86 is the
first thing I do.  I have found several bad DIMM sticks this way.  And
if your machine passes the memtest86 tests, you can start trying to
diagnose OS or software problems with good confidence that you hve ruled
out one possible source of problems.

b.g.