[ardour-dev] 6 tracks of 800MB each, is editing supposed to be slow?

Jon Coker jon.coker at att.net
Wed Feb 18 19:42:48 PST 2004

I had similar behavior with a similar machine (1.5GHz, 400 Mhz FSB) which got
worse as tracks were added (my machine slowed to a halt with 5 tracks).
Similar startup behavior too.   Someone suggested trying running jackd
WITHOUT the -R and run jackd and ardour not as root, and the system
performance issue completely disappeared.   Of course xruns are a bit of an
issue that way, but running at 44kHz and doing a few other things is allowing
me to operate with acceptably small xrun error rate without the realtime
scheduling.

Maybe you could try that?   I'd love for someone else to have my problem
(misery loves company ;).