[ardour-dev] Gain automation twitchiness

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Wed Dec 22 03:43:10 PST 2004

I have 2 tracks in a session that have gain automation on them.  I
noticed that beta22 introduced a "twitchiness" on playback/export.

The levels will jump momentarily to levels they were never set to.
As an example, I have a vocal track set to -2.2dB for a certain
section of the song, and at -0.9dB for others.  The level jumps up
to zero once or twice a second in some parts of the song!

There also seems to me some co-mingling of automation data.  I have
a gutar track that runs at -5.9dB for parts of the song, and I see
that level being jumped to by the vocal track.  The vocal track
ends up at that level every time, even though I just went and re-wrote
the gain automation, and it was set at -0.9dB at the end.

This may have something to do with the mis-assignment of gain automation
data that I'd noticed and reported last night, when the vocal automation
got assigned to my master track.

Here's a cut-n-paste of the automation file for the vocal submix.
There aren't nearly as many data points on here as there were "twitches".

version 1
g 11264 1
g 157696 1
g 168960 0.902243