[ardour-dev] 0.9beta19 crash while doing live recording

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 20 21:48:51 PST 2004

--- Jan Depner <eviltwin69 at cableone.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 11:52, R Parker wrote:
> > Hi Josh,
> >
> > --- Josh Karnes <jkarnes1 at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hey all-
> > >
> > > I had sort of a "jam session" at my house last
> > > night, set up mics and rolled
> > > 8 tracks in Ardour.  About 31 minutes in
> everything
> > > died...  Ardour stopped
> > > recording and logged a ton of "disk stream"
> errors
> > > and the like, CPU 100%,
> > > machine almost unresponsive.  Files are intact
> just
> > > abruptly end.  Any
> > > clues?  Is this normal?  I know running 8 tracks
> for
> > > half an hour may be out
> > > of the ordinary,
> >
> > It is not out of the ordinary.
> >
> >  but I had more than adequate disk
> > > space to run for a LONG time.
> >
> > I've recently had very similar experiences and
> don't
> > know the cause. I thought it might have been disk
> > performance or storage related. I don't think it
> was
> > storage but can't rule out disk peformance. I
> don't
> > know if my CPU became 100% used but I'm fairly
> certain
> > it did. Ardour would toss a warning (forget what
> it
> > said) at me and then I'd immediately have to kill
> X.
> > If I didn't kill X, I'd have to power cycle and
> > reboot. I guess that doesn't sound disk related.
> >
>    Ron, this sounds exactly like what happens when
> you get denormals in
> plugins.  I've had the same thing happen to me.
> Another symptom is that
> it will happen after stopping the transport.  Watch
> the DSP percentage.
> Of course, this is assuming you're running some
> plugins ;-)

Bummer, no plugins running. Would have been nice to
have an explanation.

I haven't had time to think about this but I know the
dates where it occured for the first time and can
locate the Ardour update posting that corresponds with
the dates. It was the beginning of a serious round of
MTC changes. Probably useless to try thinking about it
that way. I guess if Josh, Doug and I are seeing it
one of us will gather some useful info.

ron