[ardour-dev] Controlling Ardour with Shuttle Xpress

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Thu Apr 15 05:48:10 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 11:16, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> It already is possible, at least for testing purposes, to use Pd's
> linuxevent object to read the Shuttle's data, and convert it to midi.
> I didn't try this yet, because my Shuttle doesn't like my stationary
> PC, only my laptop, where no Ardour is installed.

I'm looking for realworld solutions. Running PD as a userspace driver is
not a good solution.

Reading events from the Linux input event device is really easy, writing
midi to alsa rawmidi ports is really easy. PD is good for testing, but
it's not a viable solution for realworld use.

What people (and I) want is an icon on a menu which can be doubleclicked
to get the preferences dialog out.
 (At least I think this is what people want .. :) )

The OSC looks interesting, but if Ardour doesn't support it, I don't see
any point in sending OSC and then converting it to a different format
with a second program.

  Sampo