[Ardour-Users] Are exports expected to be latency-compensated?

Lukas Pirl ardour at lukas-pirl.de
Mon Oct 10 03:22:34 PDT 2022

Dear community,

are exports expected to be latency-compensated? E.g., is audio expected to be
at the same positions as in the sources (given there is no intentional delay)?

In Ardour 6.9.0, I observe that the more plugins on a track/bus, the later the
audio in the exported file. [1] This can cause obvious problems. E.g. a) when
multiple tracks have different plugin-introduced latencies, stem-exporting and
re-mixing the tracks. E.g. b) when exchanging updated stems with more/less
plugins than in the stems exchanged before (when others edit, their edits are
misaligned then). I tried the regular and stem export with the same results.

This is a simplified test setup:

track A -> bus "unproc" (no plugins) -> master
track A -> bus "proc" (e.g., Calf Comp., Multiband, Limiter) -> master

Stem export to wav with "apply processing" enabled. Exported audio from bus
"proc" and master is later in the export than from bus "unproc". Ardour does
not report the latency to be ambiguous. "Disable PDC" is inactive.

Anything I miss or don't understand? Is non-latency-compensated export maybe
desirable as well in some cases?

Thanks in advance and regards

Lukas

[1] https://static.lukas-pirl.de/export-latency.png
  track "src": source track from interchange directory
  track "unproc": no plugins, routing: track -> bus -> export
  track "proc": a few plugins, same routing
  track "master: same plugins, routing: track -> bus -> master -> export