[Ardour-Users] Alternative income source?

Wayne DePrince Jr. waynedpj at ingiro.xyz
Thu May 6 07:33:23 PDT 2021

On Wed, 2021-05-05 at 14:49 +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 5/4/21 6:54 PM, Wayne DePrince Jr. wrote:
> > another obvious option is cryptocurrency though that has its own
> > complexities ;)
>
> Like any true nerd, I'm fascinated by idea of cryptocurrencies in
> principle.
>
> But to be sourcing my groceries from community-supported agriculture
> in
> my city, only for the payments to then have the equivalent carbon
> footprint of asparagus imported from Peru by spaceship is odd, to
> say
> the least.

	agree 100% and that is why i have not started using them.  it
seemed like this was and is still largely ignored with the mania
surrounding crypto.  however i did not want to get even more off-topic
with that tangent when posting here.  regardless i should have
mentioned it so thanks for the reminder.

	fortunately there seems to be some recognition of this serious
issue, with Ethereum's forthcoming ETH2 being one of the most well-
known answers

https://blog.aikon.com/2021/02/ethereum-2-0-proof-of-stake-what-is-the-real-impact-on-the-environment/

however there are also many cryptos that do not use PoW and all its
energy consumption, including those based on distributed ledgers.
Hedera https://hedera.com/ probably has the biggest backers, but there
are others like https://obyte.org/ and https://holochain.org/ .  of
course being sustainable is all relative and i need to take a better
look at these more "eco-friendly" efforts as well .. also when talking
about most tech it is not so easy to call anything very eco-friendly ;)

	but again thanks for the note about the impact of the crypto
boom: IMHO it should be included every time that it is mentioned ..
even though i did not here ;)

peace, w