[Ardour-Users] OT: jack_iodelay outside jack

Matt Keys matt at mattkeys.net
Sun Jun 27 18:09:33 PDT 2021

Hi All,
I've asked in other forums without success. I'm hoping this community (maybe Paul?) can point me in the right direction. It's intellectual curiosity and not business related.

I'm trying to understand which is better for tx/rx of highest quality and lowest latency audio to multple remote peers - uncompressed audio (for example jacktrrip 2 channel 48k / 128 frames), or something like opus at 48k 2 channel (for example webrtc using opus)? Granted webrtc opus is typically mono but there are sip clients like baresip which can use opus at 2 channel stereo at 48k. Am I completely wrong in thinking that the two are nearly identical as far as quality? My focus is within a controlled environment like a flat wired or optical 1g or 10g ethernet.

Does the use of opus (and a sip stack/webrtc) add latency overall, or are there efficiency gains (for example network bandwidth reduction) through its use?

Could this difference, if any, be measured using jack_iodelay? I was thinking about running jack_iodelay through a loop between jacktrip p2p vs baresip+jack+opus at 48k stereo p2p with a loopback cable.

Thanks,
Matt