[Ardour-Users] Web Audio API with Ardour

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Dec 29 10:22:52 PST 2021

On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 9:12 AM Johnny NC <johnwunder at cox.net> wrote:

> I have written a ‘live’ lightshow driven by the music I’m playing. I’d like to be able to record with Ardour and flow the music through to my web page https://johnnywunder.info/SmokingOnThePorch/liveTheMusic.html but with Ardour up it never flows. I’m using Ubuntu Studio with Jack with a Mackie Onyx USB Producer.
> I’m relatively new to Ardour either recording or the lightshow work fine separately. I’ve played with many setting but can’t see to get Ardour to stop exclusively grabbing the audio.
> Is it possible and if so what do I need to change?

When Ardour uses the ALSA audio/MIDI backend, it always exclusively
grabs the audio interface you tell it to use.

When JACK runs, it always exclusively grabs the audio interface exclusively.

If you want to use audio from a browser or other desktop application
at the same time you need to either:

   1) setup a PulseAudio -> JACK bridge
   2) use the new Linux audio PipeWire system

A final option, if you are only doing playback from Ardour, is to use
Ardour's Pulseaudio backend. This is playback only and cannot report
correctly on latency, but can be sued in some situations.

The behavior of Ardour (with ALSA) and JACK is intentional and cannot
be changed.