[Ardour-Users] Ardour session on network drive ?

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue Nov 17 11:25:16 PST 2020

On Tue, November 17, 2020 8:42 am, Harry Rueter wrote:
> someone here, who has pros/contras to store an ardour session on a
> networkshare ?

I think it should be transparent to Ardour, so you can try and see.

> o session available/workable on different computers with access to the
> share (obviously only one working access at once)

You may need to be careful to always close the session file on each
computer, otherwise two computers could end up overwriting the session
file in conflicting ways.

> Contra:
> o latency

Ardour buffers data from disk, so I do not think latency should be
affected.  Maybe a fraction of a second longer buffering time before
Ardour begins playing the first time, but I think default buffering time
is 3 seconds of audio, for 48k sample rate and 16 channels that is only
around 3MB, not much to transfer.

> o other performance problems

You should be able to benchmark your NFS share to verify available
bandwidth and also CPU usage on the computer while using NFS.  I would not
expect problems.

--
Chris Caudle