[Ardour-Users] Audio files imported with an extra gap that doesn't exist on disk

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sat Mar 28 04:02:19 PDT 2020

On 3/28/20 10:14 AM, James Harkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm attaching a screenshot of an audio file that is importing incorrectly into Ardour 5.12.0.
>
> When I open the file in Audacity, I can see that the sound is trimmed to the beginning of the file. No gap.
>
> When I import exactly the same file into Ardour (I've verified the path -- they are read from the same location), Ardour has automagically inserted a gap at the beginning of the file. This gap has no relationship with the project tempo or with any other feature of the audio file.

Hi James,

What file format it it?
Can you share the file and/or provide information about the specific
file (e.g. sndfile-info /path/to/the_file.wav)?

Looking at Ardour's waveform display there is no gap. The part that
you've highlighted is not silent, only very low volume.

Could it be that there is some meta-data in the file that specifies a
start-offset, that is ignored by Ardour?

ciao,
robin