[Ardour-Users] Importing huge wave fils

DuWayne Holsbeck drh at niptron.com
Sat Apr 18 17:37:53 PDT 2020

Good Day All

I am having an issue that is confusing the heck out of me.

I have a 32ch Midas mixer with the DN32-Live card which does 32Ch
multitrac recording on 2 32G SD chips. Works great. I can also record
a stero board mix to USB drive.

The problem I am having is the multitrac recording is written to 8 4G
wave files per SD chip. After stewing on it for a while I found that 4G
is the file size limit on a VFat partition. Unfortunatley that is the
file system KlarkTeknik decided to use. Silly MS people.

I would love to find a way of gluing the Waves together then import the
whole thing as 1 big wave file. I have tried Sox which thinks it is
concactenate them together. The file is deffinetly 32G. But when I open
it in Ardour or Audacity it only shows the first 11 minutes of the
recording. I tried just going wave to wave. The RIFF header on the
output wave file shows a length of 11min. That just happens to be the
length of the wave files being imported. I also tried going from Wave
to Raw to Wave thinking it might be a wave file limitation. I did find
information that staed the 4G limit was because of the filesystem. The
limit on NTFS is much larger.

Any thoughts? I know its not directly Ardour related but I am try to
import the tracks into Ardour.

Cheers
DuWayne