[Ardour-Users] ardour 5.12 crashes, probably MIDI related?

m.eik michalke m at reaktanz.de
Thu Mar 14 15:03:22 PDT 2019

Am Donnerstag, 14. März 2019, 15:45:56 CET schrieb Robin Gareus:
> We've had similar reports with broken .sf2 files, in particular some
> from https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/ on IRC.

very interesting! i renamed the symlinks one after another to check if one was
the culprit, and turns out in my case it was the giant soundfont v6.0 (bank
2):
 https://giantsoundfont.hpage.com/downloads.html

> In some cases a work-around was to remove the symlink to the .sf2 in
> from the session's externals folder (and re-load the .sf2 later).

i wonder if it might help to open the sf2 file in polyphone and export a
smaller version of it including only the instruments that you actually want to
use.

> > can a SF2 file crash ardour? what else could it be?
>
> Yes, it may crash the plugin which in turn crashes Ardour.
> It seems to have been a memory-corruption in libfluidsynth as follow up
> to "too few sample data points".
>
> In any case this issue was likely already fixed in recent fluidsynth-2.0.

unfortunately, it wasn't. i just compiled the latest 2.0.4 release and
replaced the KXStudio packages with it, ardour still crashes.

> > here's the final 13 minutes of "ardour being idle":
> >  http://angstalt.de/stuff/ardour/ardour_MIDI_spill.opus
>
> Wow, how avantgarde! I like this one better than those AI trying to use
> deep learning to compose :)

yeah, i was especially impressed by how elegantly it came to an end... it sure
can't compete with the "dying organ solo" in talk talk's masterpiece "after
the flood", but maybe we'll put this as a hidden track on the record :-D

viele grüße :: m.eik

--
::.       ..    ..::  dipl. psych. : : m.eik michalke  ::..    ..  ..  .::