[Ardour-Users] ardour 5.12 crashes, probably MIDI related?

m.eik michalke m at reaktanz.de
Thu Mar 14 06:30:34 PDT 2019

hi,

i'm currently recording an album with my band using ardour. we've been working
on this for a few years now, actually.

lately i'm running into problems with certain projects crashing ardour on
opening. messages like this always flood the console if ardour was started
from the command line:

<snip>
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=0]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=0]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=3]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=3]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=5]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=5]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=5]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=5]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=9]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=9]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=52]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=52]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=6]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=6]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=17]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=17]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=6]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=6]
fluidsynth: warning: Sample 'Ahh C3 L' start/end file positions are invalid,
disabling and will not be saved
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=9]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=9]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=17]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 0 [bank=0 prog=17]
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 9 [bank=128 prog=0]
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample Ahh C3 L: too few sample data points
Speicherzugriffsfehler
</snip>

the sample in question is changing, though, i don't see a pattern there. like
it's a random sample that it complains about. "Speicherzugriffsfehler" is a
segfault.

i worked on this project just two days ago, doing minor adjustments like
moving some regions and removing an unused track. but this has happened to me
before a few times during the past weeks. now it only opens this snapshot when
i use safe mode without plugins.

can a SF2 file crash ardour? what else could it be? how do i debug this?

i'm using the KXStudio builds (ardour 5.12.0-1kxstudio2v5) with kubuntu 18.04.

the project uses ardour's a-fluidsynth plugin on multiple tracks with
different SF2 soundfonts. i globally replaced calf's fluidsynth implementation
with a-fluidsynth a few months ago, both to prepare for the forthcoming
changes in ardour regarding plugins, and because annoyingly the calf plugin
sometimes "forgot" which soundfont was loaded.

just for the record, i had the strangest thing happening to me with this
particular ardour project, when a few nights ago i stopped the transport from
playing: one MIDI channel suddenly began to "play" some pretty weird stuff
with what sounded like a chamber orchestra of random instruments. it went on
for about 15 minutes and then silently came to an end. i grabbed my phone to
record it directly from my headphones, as i didn't want to touch any controls
and accidently stop the mysterious auto-composition. here's the final 13
minutes of "ardour being idle":
 http://angstalt.de/stuff/ardour/ardour_MIDI_spill.opus

viele grüße :: m.eik

--
::.       ..    ..::  dipl. psych. : : m.eik michalke  ::..    ..  ..  .::