[Ardour-Users] blips

karl at aspodata.se karl at aspodata.se
Fri Dec 27 13:02:39 PST 2019

 Dear Sirs,
after a years hiatus, I'm running ardour again, on a new box and trying
to read old recordings.

I have got that working, but there are periodic blips, about a second
apart, when listening to the recording in the editor window. I don't
know how to get rid of thoose blips.

Any help would be appreciated, I really don't know what more to look
for.

//
Using mplayer, xine etc works without a problem.

//
It is not the metronome, I can click on it and it works like a metronome
and I can turn it off.

//
Using larger latency doesn't help:
$ /usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -P80 -Xseq -dhw:M1010LT -D -M -H -n4 -p1024 -r48000
jackd 0.125.0
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:M1010LT|hw:M1010LT|1024|4|48000|0|0|hwmon|hwmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 4 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 4 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 4 periods for playback
creating alsa_midi driver ...

//
ardour compiled from source
git clone git://git.ardour.org/ardour/ardour.git
git co 5.12
./waf configure
./waf
./waf install

 starts the program from an xterm like:
ardour5 20180325.ardour &
(now seems to be a good time to learn russian:)

//
in Session->Import I can select the
 interchange/20180325/audiofiles/Audio-2%[LR].wav
and they sound fine there.

//
I can export a range and play it with mplayer and it sounds fine.

//
I (in qjackctrl) disconnected all connections and reconnected
the the right playback ports, to make sure the sound isn't comming
from multiple places.
$ jack_lsp -c
system:playback_5
   ardour:Audio/audio_out 1
system:playback_6
   ardour:Audio/audio_out 2
ardour:Audio/audio_out 1
   system:playback_5
ardour:Audio/audio_out 2
   system:playback_6

//
Recorded at 48kHz, played at the same rate.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar