[Ardour-Users] MIDI interference

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Sep 14 05:35:44 PDT 2018

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 7:05 AM, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:

> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 2:22 PM, m.eik michalke <m at reaktanz.de> wrote:
> >
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> i've now had at least two different projects where recording multiple
> MIDI
> >> takes on top of each other in one MIDI track made ardour play totally
> >> chaotic
> >> stuff. it sounded as if it was trying to play all takes it once on one
> >> channel, leading to an arhythmic, machine gun-style on/off staccato of
> >> notes.
> >> i suppose that's not intended, it should only play the top region.
> >>

> > MIDI regions are by default transparent, because that's what more people
> > expect.
> >
> > To be honest, our workflow in this area is pretty horrible. In the
> future,
> > Ardour will default to "overdubbing MIDI writes into an existing region",
> > which will clarify what is going on, and allow correct resolution of note
> > on/off pairings.
>
> Maybe "transparency" should work in that manner (or be configurable)?
> I mean, I have no idea how to merge CC messages usefully, but at least
> note on/off could likely be combined in smarter ways.

It's a deeply complex problem, and isn't part of the workflow most users
appear to expect anyway, so we will probably not bother to try to improve
it. MIDI is just different from audio, and it makes more sense to "overdub
into a region", where we can use logic we already have in place for merging
and resolving MIDI data.

But really, we won't know till we do the work.