[Ardour-Users] Test: Is it possible to use ALSA MIDI ?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Sep 3 19:34:05 PDT 2018

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 10:29 PM, jonetsu <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 22:21:41 -0400
> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>
> > Just start Ardour with its own ALSA audio/MIDI backend., instead of
> > JACK.
>
> I look in Preferences and Session Parameters and did not see anything
> for ALSA.  The first dialog box at the very beginning with the previous
> sessions listed does not offer any such choice.  This is Mixbus32C v5,
> I do not know if it makes a difference with Ardour.

It is not in any of those dialogs.

If you previously ran Ardour with JACK, and JACK is already running when
you start Ardour, the Audio/MIDI setup dialog is not presented at startup
(because we assume that you've already configured JACK as you wish).

So, either:

    * stop JACK before starting Ardour, and then the Audio/MIDI setup
dialog will appear when you start Ardour
OR
    * Window > Audio/MIDI Setup ... to change the settings (but you
probably need to stop JACK anyway, since you likely want to use the same
audio interface)