[Ardour-Users] MIDI interference

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Mon Sep 17 05:38:57 PDT 2018

Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 7:05 AM, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> writes:
>> > To be honest, our workflow in this area is pretty horrible. In the
>> > future, Ardour will default to "overdubbing MIDI writes into an
>> > existing region", which will clarify what is going on, and allow
>> > correct resolution of note on/off pairings.
>>
>> Maybe "transparency" should work in that manner (or be configurable)?
>> I mean, I have no idea how to merge CC messages usefully, but at
>> least note on/off could likely be combined in smarter ways.
>
> It's a deeply complex problem, and isn't part of the workflow most
> users appear to expect anyway, so we will probably not bother to try
> to improve it. MIDI is just different from audio, and it makes more
> sense to "overdub into a region", where we can use logic we already
> have in place for merging and resolving MIDI data.

I wasn't suggesting to use different logic, I was proposing that
"transparency" uses the same logic in an ad-hoc manner (which may mean
creating a cached merged region under the hood as an implementation
detail), leaving the original MIDI regions alone for independent
manipulation (which may trigger regeneration of the cached merged region
when it is needed).

--
David Kastrup