[Ardour-Users] Test: Is it possible to use ALSA MIDI ?

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Sep 3 20:04:32 PDT 2018

On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 22:42:43 -0400
jonetsu <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 22:34:05 -0400
> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>
> > It is not in any of those dialogs.
> >
> > If you previously ran Ardour with JACK, and JACK is already running
> > when you start Ardour, the Audio/MIDI setup dialog is not presented
> > at startup (because we assume that you've already configured JACK as
> > you wish).
> >
> > So, either:
> >
> >     * stop JACK before starting Ardour, and then the Audio/MIDI
> > setup dialog will appear when you start Ardour
>
> Thanks, that worked.

I thought I could drop a word about this here, just in case.  Maybe the
software reason for this problem is known.  It's unrelated and has to
do with Bitwig.

All plugins are working well in both Mixbus32C and Bitwig.  But there
are two plugins made by different companies with both offering a MIDI
note mode and a MIDI pad mode for percussion.  In Mixbus32C these two
plugins are receiving MIDI data on channel 1 as it should be.  For
Mixbus32C this happens with both jack and ALSA MIDI, as I juts saw
now.  However in Bitwig both of the different plugins (Melda MDrummer
and IK Multimedia Sample Tank 3) are receiving on MIDI channel 2
instead.

Moreover, in ST3 any additional MIDI note played at the same time (eg.
a 3-note chord) will result in the first note received on channel 2, the
second note on channel 3, the third note on channel 4.  And if there's
aftertouch pressure, it will be received on MIDI channel 1).

Both plugins are supporting multiple MIDI channel.  Works fine in
Mixbus32C on channel 1 by default but in Bitwig it's channel 2 by
default.  Bitwig support are baffled by this.

Maybe you have seen this kind of software behaviour elsewhere ...