[Ardour-Users] Virtual keyboard in plugin window

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Tue Oct 9 07:35:39 PDT 2018

On 10/09/2018 04:05 PM, Cameron AS wrote:
> Hi
> I wondered if there could be an option/button in the plugin window to set the
> computer keyboard as a virtual keyboard? There's already one to make all keys
> exclusive to that particular plugin but it would be nice to make them act as a
> virtual keyboard...

There is currently no such option.

The plugin-window's keyboard is only for QWERTY keyboards and intended
for auditioning synths. It is also rather limited.

Computer-keyboards do have high latency and jitter. Different keyboards
have different limitations for concurrent key-presses, rollover, etc.
Using a PC keyboard as virtual-keyboard is not really useful beyond
audition or step-entry, isn't it?

Are you aware of http://manual.ardour.org/working-with-midi/step-entry/
? Perhaps that addresses your immediate issue.

Cheers!
robin

PS. there is also http://vmpk.sourceforge.net/
PPS. You can get a small midi-keyboard for under $30. Even cheap ones
are likely better than PC keyboards for music.