[Ardour-Users] Current best method for multi-band compression within Ardour?

Seablade - seablaede at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 07:10:27 PST 2018

> if you do audio engineering instead of measurements.

While the rest of your email has some merit about mixing what you hear and
using what you hear in artistic ways, this statement is just wrong.

This is about more than just measurements.  I will back up Robin, I have
stopped using Calf more multiple reasons and yes what Robin mentioned is a
big part of one of them, significant phase smearing that is very audible
and in many cases not what you really want.  Like Robin I believe that the
default settings (Supposedly no-op) should be at least reasonably flat, and
they aren't.  Now it may be you want the distortion to the sound this
brings, but often times it is not what I or many others are looking for and
there are better options out there like Robin mentioned.

Sadly it doesn't look like OvertoneDSP has released a recent version of the
LinuxDSP multiband compressor that I used to use as well.  I could cause
some audible phase issues with it, but had to use it in some odd ways for
it to be an issue, which I consider a good thing.  Compared to my
experience with Calf, LinuxDSP was much better.  Then again Calf is done by
volunteers, and while Mike probably doesn't make anywhere near what he
should, it is a living for him.  Similarly the Harrison XT-MC Robin
mentioned is fantastic and is now my goto.

        Seablade