[Ardour-Users] acoustic guitar tone

Matt Keys matt at mattkeys.net
Mon Mar 5 02:22:58 PST 2018

I googled first and the general recommendation seems to be to use a single dynamic mic aimed just forward-left or forward-right of the sound hole, or a single condensing mic about 2 feet away. Is there a rule of thumb for what mic to use and placement of those mics for the tone you're going for? As an example, I would love to have tone like this: https://youtu.be/u7RLjNOael4 . It looks like he's using two condenser mics in opposite phase and maybe the pickup too. I'm lost on the purpose or intention of the components deployed in that configuration. Is he using the pickup because of the harmonics in the piece? Why dual condensing mics?

Thanks,
Matt