[Ardour-Users] automatable tape-recorder like playback speed?

Gunter Königsmann gunter at peterpall.de
Thu Jun 7 13:37:59 PDT 2018

On 07.06.2018 21:44, robertlazarski wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 1:22 PM, Gunter Königsmann <gunter at peterpall.de
> <mailto:gunter at peterpall.de>> wrote:
>
>     Dear all,
>
>     This mailing list has shown me the stretch tool that allows to play back
>     noises slower - which allowed me to create a nightmarish demonstration
>     of pitch changes birds are able to
>     (https://www.peterpall.de/OutsideSounds/?name=2018-04-28_amsel_400.ogg
>     <https://www.peterpall.de/OutsideSounds/?name=2018-04-28_amsel_400.ogg>).
>
>     Is there a similar tool that works more like a tape-recorder in that it
>     reduces the frequency by one octave when playing back with half the
>     speed? Doing the two things one at a time feels like introducing two
>     time the type of losses every signal processing activity comes with.
>
>     ---
>
>     I think what I want isn't conceptually doable in ardour. But - I have
>     gotten a small midi keyboard for a few € and it has a slider.
>
>     If there were such a tool... ...would it be possible to automate the
>     slowdown process so I can change the speed over the time using the
>     slider?
>
>     Probably not. But - today I have recorded many birds singing at the same
>     time in the morning and - I bet this could create interesting effects.
>
>     Thanks a lot in advance,
>     and kind regards,
>
>        Gunter.
>

> This can be done in modern hardware via keyboard control voltage "pitch
> and gate" on this soon to be released Space Case TE-2, mine is on back
> order.

The 2nd problem for ardour (despite the CPU power needed) I guess would
be that this plug-in would output a totally different number of samples
than it would get on its input...
...don't know if any plug-in architecture currently supports this - and
how ardour is supposed to display the result.

Kind regards,

  Gunter.