[Ardour-Users] Ardour Development Update

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Fri Jun 1 15:20:42 PDT 2018

On Fri, 1 Jun 2018 17:34:34 -0400
Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> Maybe that side of things will slowly grow, maybe it won't. There's
> something about being able to sketch out a track by having the
> rhythmic basics laid down quickly that I think really helps with
> creativity.

Absolutely.  This is what broke out the creativity shell about 2.5 years
ago for me - discovering and getting Bitwig.  And it ran in Linux !!

I grab the guitar, fiddle around, hey, that's neat, quickly record into
a clip whose nature is to loop, adjust the number of bars, press play.
Grab the guitar again, after 10 minutes, some neat melody.  Record that
in another clip.  Press play.  Sketch a drum in another clip.  Press
play.  Grab the acoustic bass guitar, a synth, etc..  Mix clips, play
one against the other one, record them in tracks.

3 weeks later, change hats, export the resulting 25+ tracks to Mixbus32C
and start mixing.

This changing of hats is very beneficial.  Now there's creativity but
it's under the mixer hat, a different role, a different perspective.
Being able to to this 'physical' switch by actually changing software
kits is great.  Much like what Chris replied, having different tools
to accomplish different stages of creativity is quite beneficial.