[Ardour-Users] automatable tape-recorder like playback speed?

robertlazarski robertlazarski at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 12:44:29 PDT 2018

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 1:22 PM, Gunter Königsmann <gunter at peterpall.de>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> This mailing list has shown me the stretch tool that allows to play back
> noises slower - which allowed me to create a nightmarish demonstration
> of pitch changes birds are able to
> (https://www.peterpall.de/OutsideSounds/?name=2018-04-28_amsel_400.ogg).
>
> Is there a similar tool that works more like a tape-recorder in that it
> reduces the frequency by one octave when playing back with half the
> speed? Doing the two things one at a time feels like introducing two
> time the type of losses every signal processing activity comes with.
>
> ---
>
> I think what I want isn't conceptually doable in ardour. But - I have
> gotten a small midi keyboard for a few € and it has a slider.
>
> If there were such a tool... ...would it be possible to automate the
> slowdown process so I can change the speed over the time using the slider?
>
> Probably not. But - today I have recorded many birds singing at the same
> time in the morning and - I bet this could create interesting effects.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance,
> and kind regards,
>
>    Gunter.

This can be done in modern hardware via keyboard control voltage "pitch and
gate" on this soon to be released Space Case TE-2, mine is on back order.

I suppose that could be emulated in software plugins though TBH I am on
computers too much already so I just use software for combining audio and
video mostly. Of course there are Midi to CV converters too so
"nightmarish" stuff via controlled wow and flutter could be relatively easy
to do.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcDv2pRBuyR/?hl=en&taken-by=spacecasetapeecho

Regards,
Robert