[Ardour-Users] Ardour Development Update

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Fri Jun 1 14:12:28 PDT 2018

On Fri, June 1, 2018 3:44 pm, jonetsu wrote:
> Is it possible at all to have this at a useful level in Ardour ?

It seems a lot of users want one software that does everything.
Personally I like wiring up LMMS through jackd to Ardour so I can use
tools specialized for each kind of work flow, but my mental model of audio
production was formed in the era of hardware sequencer devices, drum
machines which were actual machines and not applications on a computer,
and multitrack recorders with analog mixers.  I like software that reminds
me of that because it is easy for me to keep the signal flow organized in
my brain in a way that matches the tools, and switching applications makes
a clear point for my brain to switch in a different way of thinking when I
switch from a mixer interface to a pattern editor.

But I can appreciate that some people like to stay in one application and
have separate operating modes or plugins to make one application behave
like an entire suite of tools.

That is fine, but please, please do not break  the version of ardour that
works like a multitrack recorder and a mixer!  I've waited 20 years for
tools that could fill in for the Sony PCM3324 and SSL mixer that I lusted
after in Mix Magazine but could never touch.  Now I have a 24 track
recorder, and Mike at Overtone made me some nice SSL compressor plugins, I
finally have all the toys I wanted as a kid that I could never afford.
OK, so SSL plugin is a little like driving a fake Ferrari kit car, but
still better than riding the bus everywhere.  :)

--
Chris Caudle