[Ardour-Users] Ardour using a bluetooth headset

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Wed Jan 17 10:12:21 PST 2018

"Chris Caudle" <chris at chriscaudle.org> writes:

> On Wed, January 17, 2018 1:40 am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 15:31:15 -0600, Chris Caudle wrote:
>>>I thought Ardour could use any ALSA device which could run at the
>>>project sample rate.
>
>> No, it can not! It e.g. requires jack when using a HDSPe AIO
>
> I think all the problems you have described trying to use HDSPe AIO
> indicate that the driver for that device is not fully operating for
> some reason.  You have found problems that do not seem to be present
> with any other fully operating device.

The Tascam US-122L uses the (basically undocumented) ALSA usbstream
plugin.  While you can in theory use arecord and aplay with it, the
parameters it needs (format, buffer sizes and so on) are so very
specialized that it's close to impossible to specify everything those
programs need to get the device working, and if you get them to actually
take up work, it's practically impossible without xruns.

jackd gets along with it.  So that is an ALSA device I found pretty much
impossible to use without Jack (at least for PCM: Midi is
inconspicuous).  The driver/plugin seems to have gotten just the
attention needed to make it work with Jack.

No idea whether the HDSPe AIO situation is comparable.

--
David Kastrup