[Ardour-Users] Using the Faderport fader for any automation ?

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Jan 8 14:55:00 PST 2018

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 07:34:44 -0500
Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> The faderport controls cannot be assigned to arbitrary parameters at
> this time. The device's design speaks against doing this, though the
> utility would be clear.

OK.  I would have thought that Ardour would tell the slider "hey, I got
the user who wants to move you by 2 counts." And then the slider would
reply "OK, I'll callback the GUI and I'll tell the plugin that its
parameter has moved by 2".  In this decoupling Ardour does not really
know what the device behind the button is and the user move could be
the mouse, a knob, a USB wah pedal, whatever, it would not matter.

Instead it seems that the Faderport would have to know about every
plugin that exists in the world and not just tell a move to Ardour.
I certainly exagerate here, nut it seems that the Faderport fader does
not have the innocence of a plain GUI widget.

Cheers.