[Ardour-Users] Recording to Midi accompaniment

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Feb 15 12:50:09 PST 2018

>> The bad news is that Ardour really wants to work with Jack

Actually, the opposite. Ardour (and I) do not want you to use JACK.

> That hasn't been true for a couple of major versions now, Ardour will
> happily take exclusive control of your ALSA device.
>
>"Really wants to work with Jack" is not the same as "can only work with
>Jack".  Letting Jack deal with the realtime problems of Audio is the
>sane thing to do.

Conjecture.  JACK with MIDI is a total PITA for most users. JACK for people
from other platforms is just utterly conceptually confusing. When it does
something that you need, it's amazing. When you don't need it, it doesn't
give you anything that the ALSA backend doesn't (and the ALSA backend makes
working with MIDI much simpler).

​>​