[Ardour-Users] Recording to Midi accompaniment

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Feb 14 16:45:35 PST 2018

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 17:50:33 -0600, Chris Caudle wrote:
>I haven't really tried importing a MIDI track into Ardour before,
>maybe I should try that tonight first before I go off on some incorrect
>assumptions.

It works as for any other software, no problem with doing this. I've
already done this. Even click is not an issue when using Ardour,
several common tactics already were explained. However, I can't
recommend using Ardour for MIDI, even not when using imported MIDI
tracks. For experienced MIDI users Ardour MIDI at best is just
annoying, but usable, while for a novice, it could be impossible to use
Ardour MIDI at all. For example, you might need to use the MIDI Channel
Map plug in and in addition for MIDI throu an additional dummy strip
in parallel, since MIDI throu is terrible broken. Editing features are
advanced, but complicated to access, a novice might even not search for
the wanted feature, because not beeing aware, that it could exist. It's
not comparable to, "use GIMP the same way as using Photoshop". I'm not
aware of any other DAW, with such a freakish MIDI sequencer design, as
Ardour has got, so even if somebody already should have used a
proprietary DAW, it wouldn't help a lot. Ardour requires more knowledge
about MIDI, than just having used a proprietary DAW before using Ardour,
it requires the willingness and ability to workaround issues, no other
DAW or MIDI sequencer has got.