[Ardour-Users] Ardour and Hydrogen (not) syncing

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 08:53:49 PST 2018

Hi,

On 03/12/2018 00:25, Alf Haakon Pietruszka Lund wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm Running Ubuntu studio 18.04 with Ardour 5.12 and Hydrogen 0.9.7 as
> per default installation.
>
> So far when working with these programs together I always started out
> with a drum pattern and made the other parts fit around that. That was
> working fine and I never gave any thought to Hydrogen's understanding of
> meter and measure.
>
> This time though, I started with a simple bass figure in 8/8 (80 bpm)
> that I looped to compose a drumpattern to fit. A few variations of the
> bass figure, and a few variations of the drum pattern.
>
> The bass figure is two bars long, so it made sense (to me) to have
> Hydrogen set to size 16 / resolution 16. When played together one loop
> and one pattern at a time, they sounded in sync...

What BPM do you set in hydrogen? I don't think hydrogen has the notion
of meters different than crotchet at the denominator (i.e. x/4).
So if in Ardour you set the meter to 8/8 and the tempo at 80 BPM you
probably need to set the tempo in hydrogen to 160 BPM in hydrogen to get
a perfect sync (if I understand correctly your set-up).

Lorenzo.